Monday, March 2, 2009

Backstage Pass: Scion Rock Fest 2009



This weekend I ventured South to Georgia to see the boys play Scion Rock Fest. Travelling was a nightmare. This train ride was the best part of the whole trip.



We got in late. There was a crazy party happening in the hotel. We were worn out. So we smoked, drank a few beers and got some burgers at the Varsity. Tomorrow was going to be a big day.



Started early, the first bands went on about 1 pm. The lineups for all four stages were insane, and the venue kept to their timetables.



We got some food at Soul Veg up the street (and I mean UP the street. It was at the top of a giant hill from the venue). We got some beer at the gas station. We went to the fest and got wasted.

This was the second time I had seen Salome. They were excellent as ever. The first was at Public Assembly a few weeks ago. Now here. They opened up Hell with torrents of pounding stony riffs and a wall of vocal debris that flew past you like shrapnel.

Toxic Holocaust

Boris was dreamy, somber and serene. I am a huge fan of Flood and ___, but I have to admit, what I'd really like to see is Absolutego. Ok, I would settle for material off Amplifier Worship.

Krallice played a great set, including a new song. Jarboe stopped by to say hi to Colin and catch some of the set.

Pig Destroyer really blew me away. I hadn't really heard them before and I was expecting a little more rock. Instead, I got a lot more grind. Excellent.

Cryptopsy was probably the biggest surprise of the whole evening. They played all old material, more or less compitently, and I honestly couldn't have been happier. I ended up staying for pretty much the whole set. I can't say that about another band I saw that day.

Zoroaster was a doom supreme. Yes please.

Neurosis = awesome as always.

1349 made me a little sad, just 'cause it was the end. My friend Vanessa managed to pass out without spilling a single drop of beer.

Then to the hotel again to go at it some more.



There are some more things I'd like to say about people I met and the quality of what was heard that day, but alas, we will all see each other again and now just isn't the time for my particular brand of honesty. Let me just say that I am and will always be eternally grateful for the people that I hold truly close to me and my life. Let me also say that all things end, are made to end, sooner or later, good or bad, they should end. Nothing is made to last forever, and continuing to revive a corpse past its time only results in, well, bad choices, poor decisions, and a supreme lack of sensitivity.

The next morning we found ourselves still in Atlanta, engulfed by a blizzard. Most flights out of the airport had been canceled. The snow was piling up by the inches by noon. For whatever reason, our flight had not been canceled. We got food at a diner and went on our way. Convinced we would be trapped at the airport, we waited...and waited...and waited. Until finally, they boarded the aircraft. Then we waited...and waited...and waited for our plane to be deiced. Finally we got off the ground, made good time to New York, landed then we waited...and waited...and waited...for another plane to leave our gate area. 8 hours of airport and planes and baggage claims later, we were home, and the blizzard outside subsided leaving us wrapped in a heavy blanket of white, fluffy snow.

---

Links to Video and Pictures: I'll keep adding as I find more things. Please leave your images and videos in the comment box below!

No comments:

Post a Comment